How to Get a Canada Student Visa in Nigeria
If you’re a Nigerian planning to study in Canada, this article on how to obtain a Canada student visa might be of great assistance.
Canada is a wonderful destination for education, boasting some of the world’s best universities and colleges, making it a favorite study-abroad choice for Nigerians.
To study in Canada, Nigerians need a study visa, and it’s crucial to ensure all your information is accurate when applying. Any errors in your application may lead to rejection. To help you apply for your Canada student visa correctly, follow the steps below.
Table of Contents:
- What is a Canadian Student Visa?
- Documents Required for Canada Student Visa
- How to Apply for a Canada Study Visa
- Work and Study in Canada
- Canadian Visa Application Centres (VAC) in Nigeria
What is a Canadian Student Visa? A Canadian student visa is a temporary visa issued by Canada’s citizenship and immigration authorities to international students wishing to pursue studies in Canada for more than six months. It is essential for Nigerian students to obtain a valid student permit before studying in Canada. Make sure to apply for your student visa as soon as you receive your acceptance letter from your chosen university or college.
Who is Eligible? Before applying for a Canadian study visa, ensure you meet the following criteria:
- You must have been accepted into a Canadian university or college.
- Provide proof of sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and living expenses.
- Have no criminal record and provide an official police report.
- Undergo a health checkup to demonstrate good health.
- Convince the visa officer during your interview that you will return to Nigeria after your student visa expires.
Documents Required for Canada Student Visa: To apply for a Canada student visa, you’ll need the following documents:
- Valid Passport: Include a photocopy of your passport’s information page with relevant details.
- Letter of Acceptance: Obtain a valid letter of acceptance from an approved Canadian institution.
- Study Permit: Apply for a study permit from the Canadian immigration before enrolling in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- Photocopy of Marriage License/Certificate (if applicable): Married applicants may need to provide a photocopy of their marriage certificates.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP): Submit an essay explaining why you want to study in Canada and your choice of institution.
- Valid Immigration Medical Exam Results (IME): Undergo a medical examination to show good health.
- English Proficiency Result: Though not always required by the immigration authorities, some institutions may ask for an English proficiency test result.
- Custodian Declaration: Applicants under 18 may require a custodian in Canada.
- Police Report: Provide an official police report showing a clean background.
- Proof of Financial Support: Demonstrate sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses.
- Passport-sized Photograph: Submit a recent passport-sized photograph meeting specific requirements.
How to Apply for Canada Study Visa: Follow these steps to apply for a Canada student visa:
- Check Eligibility Criteria: Ensure you meet all the requirements for a Canadian study visa.
- Gain Admission into a Canadian University: Secure admission into an approved Canadian institution and obtain an acceptance letter.
- Gather Supporting Documents: Prepare all required documents before applying.
- Complete the Visa Application: Apply online or on paper, ensuring accurate information is provided.
- Pay Visa Application Fee: Pay the required fees online.
- Submit at VAC: Submit your biometrics and passport at an approved Visa Application Centre.
- Wait for Visa Decision: The processing time may vary, so apply well in advance.
Work and Study in Canada: International students meeting certain criteria can work for 20 hours per week during term and full-time during holidays. Graduates may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), leading to opportunities for permanent residency in Canada.
Canadian Visa Application Centres (VAC) in Nigeria: There are two Canadian Visa Application Centres in Nigeria, located in Abuja and Lagos. Visit one of these centers to submit your application, biometrics, and supporting documents.
By following these guidelines, you increase your chances of getting your Canadian student visa approved on your first try.
Canadian Visa Application Centres in Nigeria
The Canadian Visa Application centers are authorized centers that accept and process student visa applications. They are responsible for sending your application to the Canada sds visa office. They also collect your biometrics and help you return your passport and visa decision envelopes.
Nigeria has two Canadian Visa Application centers located in Abuja and Lagos. You can visit the official Canadian VAC website for Nigerians for more information on your visa application.
For Abuja- Visa Application Centre Sterling Bank Plaza, 3rd-floor plot No 1083, Mohammadu Buhari way, Central Business District Abuja, Nigeria.
For Lagos- Visa Application Centre Ground Floor, The Manor Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way, Lekki Phase 1 Lagos Nigeria.